Monday, June 7, 2010

Relay For Life

I felt terrible when I realized that I had not yet gotten back to Mike. He had called me back in April asking me if I might be available to take some photographs of his Relay for Life event. At the time, I honestly couldn't commit. I was scheduled to fly home from California and Escalate 2010 the day before on the red eye and I had Hannah & Alex's wedding to shoot that day! I've never flown such long distances and had no idea what to expect from the jet lag I hear people talk about.

Well, my plans changed and I ended up coming home a day earlier than I had originally thought and then I read this:

Jasmine Star Just when I think I'm stretched too thin, I realize I can give a little more to make it work. This often yields life's sweetest rewards.



I had three sessions and a wedding that would need to be worked on, but really why couldn't I take a couple of hours of my time to capture such an amazing event. Mike lost his mom to cancer several years ago and has been putting organizing a Relay for Life event for several years. I worked with Theresa at my very first job at Henry's in Algonac and with Scott's Mom battling colon cancer and having lost Scott's Dad to leukemia in 2006, I really wanted to help out.



Mike owns Mike's Comics and Games in New Baltimore and puts together an awesome tent filled with all kinds of fun things to do and games to play!



I loved their idea of how they make sure that their team has someone walking the whole time. Someone walking carried the Lightsaber, if they ever saw it at the tent, they knew that it was someone's turn to grab it and go.



These two hula-hooped all the way around the track! I have no idea how they did it, I'm clearly not that talented.


They had an area set up where you could come in and paint your own figurine too!




Outside of the tent a table was set up for someone to try to beat the Mike the game master. I love playing games and thought I'd give it a shot. I didn't end up beating him, but I came close once!




Some of Mike's vendors donated a TON of games to be raffled off in the silent auction.



The whole team. They had raised over $5000 classifying them as "Silver Team"! Congratulations!

0 comments:

  © Blogger template 'Photoblog' by Ourblogtemplates.com 2008

Back to TOP