Sunday, August 23, 2009

Another Year Older

Happy Birthday to me! Today is my 33rd birthday! That's right folks, I'm a big girl now.

Every birthday I take some time reflect on the past year. So much has happened and changed my life this year, I never would have dreamed it possible. To think of where I was last year... I had recently lost my job and interviewing for various Logistics companies. I was so grateful of all of the opportunities that had been passed on from my previous co-workers. But my heart just wasn't in to it. Everything entailed a longer commute than I had already been making. After nearly 5 years of driving 60 miles a day in Detroit rush hour traffic I couldn't stomach the thought of adding any additional drive time.

I remember the day I shared the idea of starting my own photography business with Scott. I was nervous to even mention it after my previous failed business attempt at becoming a Creative Memories superstar. (Turns out, direct selling isn't really for me). After several long discussions and many sleepless nights, we decided that I should do it.

It was around that time that I met Kevin Murawski. Kevin was photographing some very dear and long time friend's wedding that Scott and I both were both standing up in. Scott had warned Kevin that I would be following him and asking him tons of questions. Well for some strange reason, I decided to leave my camera in the bag that day. It was totally uncharacteristic of me and no one could believe it. But that I day I really wanted to just enjoy the day with so many friends. Scott kept telling me to talk with Kevin and give him my business card. I was a nervous wreck about it and finally near the end of the night I think Scott actually pushed me away and forced me to approach Kevin. I finally gave in thinking "What's the worst thing that could happen? He'll think I suck and I won't hear from him again?"

So imagine my surprise when I actually heard back from Kevin! I was giddy and doing the happy dance all around the house when he offered me the opportunity to 2nd shoot with him. I showed up for my first wedding with Kevin nearly jumping out of my skin. I was that nervous. I know weddings inside and out having been a part of so many weddings, but this was different. I had no idea what he was going to be expecting from me. Kevin showed me the ropes of a wedding from a photographers point of view and taught me so much. And he continued to let me shoot with him! I jumped at every opportunity to attend weddings and learn from him.

Well here I am, with 10 weddings under my belt and 6 more still on my calendar this year! I'm so grateful for everything all that this past year has brought. Grateful to my husband for all of his love and support, grateful to my family and friends that have encouraged me throughout this journey, and grateful to Kevin for all that he has taught me. Definitely a very happy birthday today!

Here's to no more road rage!

*****
On a sidenote, as a photographer I feel it's very important to get in front of the lens once in a while. It helps to remind me how my clients feel when I pointing my camera at them. I can relate to how uncomfortable and nervous it can be. It puts me in check so to speak. So in honor of my birthday, and the upcoming website refreshening, I asked my my bff Lesley to give me my own session! Here's me, at 33!

3 comments:

Lesley August 23, 2009  

I am SO very proud of you! You turned your passion into a career...not many people can say that. Happy Birthday! xoxo

Kevin August 23, 2009  

You are doing some really awesome work, keep it up,
Happy B-Day!

Tarra August 26, 2009  

You never seize to amaze me Shannon. You are an incredible photographer, writer and FRIEND! We are all blessed to have you in our lives. I hope you had a great birthday!

  © Blogger template 'Photoblog' by Ourblogtemplates.com 2008

Back to TOP